Monday, February 28, 2011

Be Still

"Be still, and know that I am God...."Ps.46:10

Be Still!

The exclamation point is not a quote from the Bible - it is my own.Lately I have been thinking about this.I feel as though when I get all uptight about life and start to worry ridiculously about stuff that is going on ( it's often self-consuming) I picture God, with love in his eyes but yet concern for me saying sternly, "be still"!

Always before when reflecting on this verse I thought of a more gentle tone,a softness.But I think(with me) it takes a firm "listen to me" tone to get my attention sometimes.Why is this?

Along the same lines,I have been considering the idea that different temperaments and personalities pray differently.I wonder why at the age that I am, I still struggle with focusing and not losing my train of thought while praying..I begin my day wanting to get this thing right,I sit with my Bible ,read than begin to pray trying this thing of "being still", before I know it my mind is way somewhere else.Oh, I have read plenty of plans and schedule ideas for being organized in prayer  which only confuses and freezes my free spirit mind all the more.*sigh* So yeah, is there anything to this idea? I have asked my children who all  have different personalities how they stay focused during prayer.They all answered differently! Logan listens to music,Courtney prays with her eyes open looking around and Grant pictures things in his mind.

These facts I know:

  • Prayer is how we communicate with God
  • Focused prayer is necessary
  • We were created by God to worship Him
  • Though worship is a must, not everyone worships the same
  • Prayer is a form of worship
So, I admit this is one of those areas that I can get my mind in a tizzy wondering about.I feel guilt.I work myself into a stew than I hear God say "just be still!".

Simplicity.Conversation.Prayer. Yet,I make it so difficult.

How do you stay focused?

No comments: