Monday, May 18, 2009

The Dilemma (and joys)of Dinner

What's for dinner? I wonder how many mother's really dread that question. Such a simple one tho! You would think it would be easy! I enjoy cooking.I think I am pretty good at it actually. I try to have things in the pantry and freezer to make this time of the evening easier but yet sometimes my brain freezes and I can't make the simple decision of what to put together.Actually, as I am writing this a casserole that I put together is sitting on my counter top ready to be devoured by my family,I have one problem with it...I put buttered bread crumbs on top, put it in the oven on broil to nicely toast it and FORGOT ABOUT IT! Well,it's still good but just a little burnt flavor on top(scrape it off if you don't like the burnt touch!)
once the food is prepared and on the table... I enjoy family dinner time.With the kids being older the conversation gets a little interesting at times.Sometimes we can get downright silly and laugh till the cows come home..(Oh wait we don't have cows!):)
I think that dinner has lost it's "wonder" in the American home. I had a co- worker who knows I am married and have a family ask me in a surprised tone "You cook dinner every night?" I hope to always keep that tradition of family dinner around the table.I remember it growing up and would have it no different here in my own home.
So,in thinking about this whole thing of having to come up with something for my family to eat every evening has more meaning than just consuming food.It also provides a time for the family to stop what they are doing, join around the table,have a chance to talk about their day and maybe share a new joke so we all can laugh together.
Hmmm....I smell dinner(burnt bread crumbs and all)I think it's time to gather the family around...
Till later Caroline

No comments: