Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mary and her friends -the weeks after

 It was early morning.The sun had yet to break it's first a beam of light across the countryside. Mary slowly woke up, her first thoughts of the day begin entering her mind.Normal,every day kind of thoughts.But not fully formed.When in an instant her mind is fully awakened because she remembers.
 Sitting up on her cot,she rests her forehead in her hands and sighs a deep,long sigh.Sadness envelopes her whole being. Because she remembered -the angry crowd, the cross, the blood ,his words just before he died. Behind her closed eyes memories in the form of mind pictures begin their journey,but she quickly shakes her head to remove the images.Although she is still confused by all the events of the previous days She stands up because she knows in her heart that she and her friends want to do what they need to, to honor Jesus. Sabbath day was over...
The above part of the story is only my imagination. The Bible start here:
 1-4 After the Sabbath, as the first light of the new week dawned, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to keep vigil at the tomb. Suddenly the earth reeled and rocked under their feet as God's angel came down from heaven, came right up to where they were standing. He rolled back the stone and then sat on it. Shafts of lightning blazed from him. His garments shimmered snow-white. The guards at the tomb were scared to death. They were so frightened, they couldn't move.
 5-6The angel spoke to the women: "There is nothing to fear here. I know you're looking for Jesus, the One they nailed to the cross. He is not here. He was raised, just as he said. Come and look at the place where he was placed.
 7"Now, get on your way quickly and tell his disciples, 'He is risen from the dead. He is going on ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there.' That's the message."
 8-10The women, deep in wonder and full of joy, lost no time in leaving the tomb. They ran to tell the disciples. Then Jesus met them, stopping them in their tracks. "Good morning!" he said. They fell to their knees, embraced his feet, and worshiped him. Jesus said, "You're holding on to me for dear life! Don't be frightened like that. Go tell my brothers that they are to go to Galilee, and that I'll meet them there."


I wonder. I wonder what the sabbath day was like.Jesus died on Friday afternoon. The Sabbath was Saturday. "They" arose early on Sunday morning to go to the tomb to prepare Jesus' body for burial. I know what the waiting feels like after someone close to me has died.The death.Than waiting for friends to come.Waiting for the body to be brought from the funeral home.Waiting for the first calling hours.Waiting for the funeral to start.It's like walking through a fog the whole time. So yes, I wonder what Saturday was like for the disciples, Mary and all the friends of Jesus.
  This week I have been thinking about how this week (and 40 days hence)must have been like.I cannot imagine the emotion of witnessing that horrible, cruel death ,feeling the grief and pain in my heart of a person so wonderful as Jesus to be taken away from me, the confusing thoughts of second guessing everything but yet wanting to believe everything that Jesus said and is now saying.But yet, he speaks in such mysterious ways sometimes that it takes some thinking to figure out exactly what he means.And my o my he can put those pious pharisees in their place!Now he isn't dead- HE AROSE! He's going through wall like a spirit form,he is talking about things that don't always make sense.BUT HE IS ALIVE!! Those 40 days with Jesus....must have been incredible!
  Read Mathew,Mark and Luke's accounts  of this story.So much is not recorded! But I do know they were human, with questions and wanderings like me. http://www.biblegateway.com/
  The other day I was in a dreamy kind of sleepy state too.I was stealing a much needed nap in the afternoon and I was thinking about this when I was  filled with wonder,joy,and a sense of feeling so loved ! Why? Because this "man" Jesus that we read about and talk about is the God  that I speak to ALL THE TIME.He is my friend.I have conversation with him!He is real! I am struggling for words here to really say how I felt.I of course always have known this but at that moment i t was ---seriously I don't have words here!
  I began to think of the Holy Spirit and his role in the trinity.How strange it must have  been for them to get used to this idea.A comforter? How do we relate? Will he always appear as an angel? Tongs of fire on our heads?  Can you imagine the conversations they must have had with their first encounters?
WOW!
For me,
It's always been this way...
To talk to Jesus, I pray.
The Holy Spirit speaks to me.
But this,
this was all new to them.

  It just makes me wonder.....

No comments: