Friday, September 7, 2012

Taste and See than DO!

TGIF!
I am looking forward to this weekend and all that's on the menu - literally!
It all started this morning already-
I stopped at Detwiler's farm market , I  splurged at the deli counter and got the maple smoked bacon (it was on sale!). I believe there are bacon,cheese melts gonna happen somewhere in this weekend!
This evening, a long- in- planning date with another couple to Pizza SRQ  a local pizza shop that has fabulous pizza  and "to die for" cannolis! I am expecting very animated conversation,laughter and encouragement.  Tomorrow morning I get to meet some friends that I rarely see  for brunch at  Milllies restaurant.We always have a good time ,catching up and sometimes helping each other figure out how to deal with situations we are coming up on in life.  While I am going on about my appetite I might as well add this fact, at this very moment I am enjoying a homemade pumpkin latte .I used this recipe for a ladies night at church last evening  it was a hit. I used  instant coffee (and I am a picky coffee drinker) instead of brewed. It was faster and tasted just fine  :)
 Obviously food wise it is going to be a great weekend .
  On Sunday night as I lay my head on my pillow the question will be this, when I spent that time with friends and family was my character as it should be,were the words that left my mouth, and the images my eyes took in pleasing to God? Ultimately,I need to "Taste and see that the LORD is good..." Ps. 34:8 Than, make being a child of God inviting and "salty" so others will want the LORD too!

 I was looking back over some of my drafts that have been sitting waiting for finishing touches and publication.This one seems very dated  but yet there was a message I thought might be relevant. If not for someone else,than me. :) This one tugs at my heart because since I wrote this Grant no longer takes  lessons from this gentleman but still benefits greatly from the things he learned . Also, The teacher today is in the middle of a huge trial-a trial in life that we all hope to never have to walk through- the death of a loved one (in this case a spouse) .I pray strength and peace over the family.
Here is the draft I was working on:

Beat beat beat...tap tap tap tap...I am sitting here at Grant's drum lesson while writing.I hear them drumming together with his soft spoken teacher giving bits of instruction and encouragement in-between.His teacher is a gentle sort of man with an incredible talents . Grant loves him and has really gotten quite well under his teaching. 
---Been thinking - it takes 2 to learn...one to teach one to accept  and apply the instruction. ---
A picture of what God has been working on my mind lately.
The teaching in the Bible that God gives to me.The changes he wants me to make in my life- only I can choose to make.He can instruct,nudge,encourage but I have the choice to do as he asks.We could take Grant to his drum lessons and pay the fee. Grant could  hear the instruction ,watch his teacher give the examples but if  Grant would choose to not  apply what he hears what good is it?  I have been wondering about myself and thinking about the little things that don't necessarily make me "non-christian" but that hinder me from living that fully abundant life. Hearing and reading the instruction but leaving it at that -not choosing to act on it.
Grant in action!


Today I add these thoughts:

 James 1 verses 22-26 "You must be doers of the word and not only hearers who mislead themselves.  Those who hear but don’t do the word are like those who look at their faces in a mirror.They look at themselves, walk away, and immediately forget what they were like.  But there are those who study the perfect law, the law of freedom, and continue to do it. They don’t listen and then forget, but they put it into practice in their lives. They will be blessed in whatever they do." 

You know it's a day to day,minute by minute growing experience. It's life. It's why we depend and lean on God.It's why we have each other. It's why we pick up the mirror God's word daily and read the same things again and again. Apply and re-apply.It's not a novel to be read through than to put on the shelf and forgotten. It's our GPS of sorts. ..do we get anywhere by sitting in the garage and punch in the address in our GPS? NO-absolutely not we turn right,make a U turn, recalculate.We follow the direction of the voice or read the guide at the top of the instrument . But than not only to read/hear but to DO.Than , only than do we reach the destination.
We end up exactly in the center of God's will!

Taste and see that he is good-than continue on reading &and  hearing his word but don't stop there- DO IT! :)

Since I was talking so much about food here is some foody eye candy - maybe you will be inspired to create something yummy ....




The children asked for baked oatmeal again- so yum-so simple! Add fresh fruit and milk and you have a great breakfast!





Our family Labor Day supper; Grilled sausage and bratwurst with grilled hot peppers(I buy them ,they eat them.Too hot for me!) Pasta Salad with Olive Garden dressing, Southern sweet tea .)We had Mac and cheese too plus Apple pie and ice cream to finish off the meal but no photos of those dishes)












And finally, a great summer snack.It may be a funny combo but I love it! -Nutella and crunchy Ginger Snaps (from Detwiler's Farm Market)with  homemade vanilla Iced coffee.....





Have a WONDERFUL weekend!

No comments: